Sunday, September 20, 2026

11 days to hug Elder J

 ​There was a lot more normalcy and routine to this week.  After almost 4 months of not having routine it felt good to go back to what to the structure. 


Today Aubrie is coming up because she called for a Family Extravaganza for today. We also have a Jensen extended family bbq that we will go to first and then come back here.  I feel grateful each and every time one of you kids help organize something that helps us be together or be closer.  I will always feel like that.  

Hallie nannied for a family in Spanish Fork for a few days and now she is watching Gillespies for this week.  Then she will mostly be home I think. 

Blake and the Cwood football team played Juan Diego this week.  It was such a let down for the team.  They really wanted to win that game.  Many good things happened but they still were outplayed.  Blake's discouragement came out his eyes after the game. WE gave him a long hug.  Hard things like that--being on a team that loses so much--and still giving your best effort is SUCH A GOOD LIFE LESSON.  and I am glad for it for him. 
I got a text from Amber Kay that made me so proud of you all.  I love to hear that you are being helpful and hardworkers and GOOD to people in your lives.  I just love it!  TOday in church after the sacrament Scott and Blake came and sat down and Scott was on the row behind us and he was alone because his parents and Autumn were in the choir. Without missing a beat Blake reached back and asked Scott if he'd come sit by him which he did.  Great social awareness and an example of being good to people. 

I sent you a video of Lucas reading the scriptures one morning because he just looked so cute with his tired face and sounding out some of the hard words.  He is such an early riser and so quick to jump out of bed.  He's so easy to wake up.  Lucky guy! (hope that sticks for him).

Talking to Lauren Whitaker this week (Lola's mom) she was talking about her son Bodhi and that he has "sticky thoughts" she called them.  Thoughts that he has over and over that he lets mull around alot in his head. they stick and are hard to not think.  She is trying to help him have more productive "Sticky thoughts" since he is prone to have them.  

"This never works when I do this", "I am always late and so irreponsible" "I dont do enough of xyz" "I am not fun enough, I take life too serious" "I mess up so often on xyz, even when I recommit every time".  Its when we way the same thing over and over and create stickines to it so that we BECOME that sticky thought.  It is an interesting idea. 

Id like to deliberately plan some things for our family to do together from October 5th-Oct 28th.  We all have full schedules and plenty to do. I want to be deliberate about somethings to do as a family.  We wanted to take a trip but I don't know if that will happen in that window of time with some other big things happening.  Id like to go camping away from cell coverage at least.  Any ideas yall of things we should do together?  Also, Aubrie if you have a rugby match on Oct 16th it seems like we need to try to have Lucas baptism on the Sunday instead of Saturday.  (you will be back Sunday right?) Do you know the plan or can you find it out asap.  What do you all think about his baptism being Sunday afternoon (if its possible).

Carter Oliphant spoke in church today.  I thought his talk was excellent.  One experience he shared was that he was so disappointed and kind of angry when he had to come home from his mission because he has a spinal degenerative disease he didnt know baout and it was making his particular mission tricky for him physically. 

About a week after he was home his mom reminded him of a conversation he ahd with his grandpa his senior year.  Carter was telling his grandpa he planned to graduate, go to college for one year and then go on his mission.  His grandpa pretty frankly said "you should go on your mission right out of HS or you wont go."  Carter was pretty offended by the conversation and in his mind thought "do you think I am not good enough or dedicated enough to the gospel to go to college first and not get out on my mission still".  He did ultimately listen to the advice and went on his misison.  After his mom reminded him of that conversation he decided to reframe the year mission he had and not be mad that the second year was taken away but that his grandfather was inspired to tell him to go right out of HS and that the Lord knew his health situation (that he didnt know yet) and how much Carter wanted to be a missionary and God wanted him to have a chance to be able to be a missionary for a time but that meant he needed to go on a mission with different timing than he was originally planning.    It was a compelling experience to share. 

Ok, God is good.  All the time. ;)


















No comments: